Sunday, August 19, 2012

More on Equiblues 2012

Photo (c) Ruth Ellen Gruber



By Ruth Ellen Gruber


I've been mulling over Equiblues, its changes, the way the "real imaginary" space is become more conventionalized, more real? more imaginary? How the festival seems both "bigger" and "smaller".... I had a late night conversation about this with Dale Mitschke, the producer of the rodeo, last night -- I kept apologizing for thinking out loud and running through my ideas instead of holding a conversation.

I'll try to figure out what I want to say get it written down.  I had a brief moment of almost bursting into tears at the rodeo.... It was over for the day, thousands of people in their cowboy hats and boots and American flag tee-shirts and scarves and even sun-glasses were streaming out, and they were blasting out Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA" on the loud-speakers. I know, I know this song is used as an anthem! Hard-driving, powerful triumphant-sounding background music. OK it IS anthemic.... but the words? Rage. Frustration. Anger. Dismay. Is it triumphant? Bruce is a cool rocking daddy despite everything. The power of the music fit the real imaginary French scene. But the lyrics? The song?

Meanwhile -- here are a few pix of the rodeo....

Capsized bull-rider. Photo (c) Ruth Ellen Gruber

The classic shot... Photo (c) Ruth Ellen Gruber

A lot of bull... Photo (c) Ruth Ellen Gruber

1 comment:

Oscar Case said...

Thanks for the pics! The bull on the bottom looks meaner than Clint Eastwood.