Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bluegrass -- I may actually see Bluegrass in America!

By Ruth Ellen Gruber

Over the past few years, I've been to bluegrass concerts, jams and festivals (and festivals with bluegrass performers) in the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Poland and Italy -- maybe elsewhere. But I've never been to a bluegrass festival in the United States. If things go well, this should be remedied this weekend -- I'm currently on a fellowship near Boston (at Brandeis University) and I hope to go the Joe Val Festival at nearby Framingham this weekend.

If I get there, I'll report on the intercontinental similarities and differences -- some of the performers on the bill, in fact, have toured in Europe: I've posted on this blog, for example, on some of banjo player Tony Trischka's gigs in CZ and Poland, as well as on various other European events, including the first European Bluegrass Summit, which I attended a few years ago. The third such summit is taking place this weekend. It includes a concert marking the 10th anniversary of the European Bluegrass Music Association. (The EBMA blog is a great resource.)

So watch this spot.

No comments: